The U.S. Indo-Pacific Command has condemned North Korea's apparent firing Tuesday of a submarine-launched ballistic missile, urging the regime to refrain from any further detabilizing actions.
It said it will continue to monitor the situation, but also that the launch does not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel or territory, or those of American allies.
It added that the U.S. commitment to the defense of South Korea and Japan remains ironclad.
Japan was also quick to slam the North's repeated launches, saying Tokyo was working to analyze the details while preparing for potentially "unforseen circumstances."
"North Korea has just fired two ballistic missiles. The regime's continued missile launches since last month are very regrettable."
The Japanese Prime Minister's mention of two missiles was inconsistent with the observations of other countries in the region, but the reason for that was not immediately known.
Canceling the rest of his election campaign trip on that day, Kishida further underlined the importance of continuing to analyze the situation and collect information.
Japan's deputy chief cabinet secretary Toshihiko Isozaki also said that the North's actions threaten the peace and safety of his country and the region and violate UN Security Council resolutions.
While the Security Council is yet to evaluate the situation, it's rare to see new resolutions passed in the case of short-range missiles.
Though SLBMs are considered more threatening than ordinary ballistic missiles, no new resolutions were adopted when the North fired a short-range missile in October 2019.
But that's also when the regime was in active negotiations with the Trump administration.
Seoul's foreign ministry said Tuesday that it will closely communicate with Washington and the Security Council members, but it's highly likely that the North will have strong words if the Security Council issues so much as a statement.
Kim Dami, Arirang News.