South Korean trade minister Yoo Myung-hee, who is running for the Director-General post at the World Trade Organization, has proceeded to the second round of voting.
The WTO officials in Geneva announced on Friday the list of five candidates advancing to the next stage, having reduced the number of candidates from eight.
The remaining contenders for the second round are from Kenya, Nigeria, South Korea, Saudi Arabia and the UK.
On October 6th, the list will be reduced to two candidates for the final round.
The South Korean government said that as well as Yoo's expertise and 25 years of experience, WTO members took into account South Korea's successful COVID-19 prevention measures.
During her campaign, Yoo has travelled to several cities around the world, including Geneva and Washington DC, to make herself known to the members.
"What's utmost important is the person's, the candidate's competence and capability to save and enhance the WTO and also to take WTO reform."
So far, she has already asked officials from around 140 countries for their support.
For the final stage of voting, the director-general will be decided by a consensus of all WTO members.
Seoul's foreign ministry said that if they fail to reach a consensus, the decision could be put to a vote.
Yoon Jung-min, Arirang News.