Will there or won't there be another summit between the leaders of the United States and North Korea before the November 3rd U.S. presidential election?
It's a question that has been raised on numerous occasions.
On Wednesday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was asked about it again.
Pompeo said President Trump would hold another summit, but only if they are likely to make progress on the agreement they reached in Singapore.
At their first summit in Singapore in June 2018, Trump and Kim Jong-un agreed to work toward the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and improve bilateral ties.
However, efforts stalled since the second summit in Hanoi in February 2019, which collapsed due to differences over the scope of North Korea's denuclearization and sanctions relief from the U.S.
Despite the prospects of a third summit between the two sides, Pompeo later downplayed the possibility of holding it this year.
According to Pompeo, the North has given "mixed signals" and has decided "not to engage" with the U.S..
Earlier this month U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun also shot down the possibility of an in-person meeting, citing the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, Pompeo reaffirmed Washington's stance on the importance of denuclearizing the peninsula and bringing stability to the region.
He said that, in order to achieve it, the U.S. needs a "willing partner", adding that the North Koreans "have chosen at this point in time not to engage in a way that can lead to a potential solution."
He remains hopeful that the North will change their mind, saying the Trump administration looks forward to engaging with them in order to get the "right outcome".
Lee Seung-jae, Arirang News.