U.S. Justice Department limits use of chokeholds, no-knock warrants
Updated: 2021-09-15 09:47:47 KST
The U.S. Justice Department has placed new limits on the use of chokeholds and no-knock warrants by FBI and other federal law enforcement agencies.
The department said in a statement Tuesday local time that it had issued policies prohibiting the use of 'chokeholds' and 'carotid restraints' unless deadly force is authorized.
'Unannounced entries' into peoples' homes has also been scaled back.
In cases where they are needed, federal agents will now be required to seek approval from senior department officials before using the tactic.
The country's Attorney General Merrick Garland said building trust and confidence between law enforcement and the public is central to their mission at the Justice Department.
The use of aggressive restraint practices became controversial in the U.S. following the death of George Floyd, who died in May last year after a police officer pinned his knee on the back of his neck as he repeatedly cried out that he could not breathe.
The police officer who killed him by kneeling on his neck was sentenced to 22 and a half years in prison.
Two months prior to that in March 2020 Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency medical worker, was shot and killed by police in her home while executing a no-knock warrant.
She was shot multiple times after being roused from her bed by police as part of a drug investigation.
But no drugs were found, and the warrant was later found to be flawed.
Their deaths led to worldwide mass protests against racial injustice and calls for changes in policing.
Bae Eun-ji, Arirang News.