What is the Truth of Korea’s Population Collapse?
World Ch. Schedule : WED 20:30 KST
Date : 2022-06-22
In this episode of ‘What is’, we investigate the main drivers that are fueling Korea’s shrinking population and its looming demographic crisis. The reasons are many, including the growing number of women who are pursuing their own individual careers at the cost of marriage and pregnancy. The cost of childcare and education compounded by difficult financial circumstances are also accelerating the trend of falling birth rates and a population that is not only shrinking, but getting older as well. Is there anything we can do to reverse this phenomenon and avert the inevitable demographic crisis that it may lead to? Tune in to this week’s episode of ‘What is’ to find out more.
- JEON Yeong-su, Professor / Hanyang University Graduate School of International Studies
- KIM Sei-wan, Professor / Dept. of Economics, Ewha Womans University
- CHEN Chen, Researcher / Sungkyun Institute of China Studies
- HWANG In-chul, Obstetrician / Seoul Medical Center
- HUR Ji-won, Professor / School of Psychology, Korea University
- LEE Sang-ho, Research Fellow / Korea Employment Information Service
- Junya TSUTSUI, Professor of Sociology / Ritsumeikan University
#LowFertility #PopulationDeathCross #DemographicCliff #PopulationDecline #AgingPopulation #Marriages #Singles #FamilyStructures #FertilityRate #ChildcarePolicies #GovernmentSubsidies