Other Stories

Pompeo doesn't rule out another N. Korea-U.S. summit Updated: 2020-07-10 05:54:32 KST


Shortly after the top U.S. envoy for North Korea, Stephen Biegun, departed Seoul, Thursday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the United States is "very hopeful" about continuing dialogue with North Korea, including holding another summit between the two leaders, if it's appropriate.
According to the top U.S. diplomat, Washington is also looking to establish dialogue and have "substantive conversations" about how to deliver peace and stability to the Korean Peninsula.
Pompeo also asserted that the Trump administration is serious about engaging with the North, but he stressed the "strategic threat" the regime poses to South Korea, China, and the rest of the region.
Talk of another Kim-Trump summit has been gaining traction after President Moon Jae-in told European leaders last month, that he would work to make one happen before the U.S. presidential election in November.
President Trump also said this week that he would meet Kim again, if doing so was "helpful".
However, the North Koreans have publicly spurned offers to resume dialogue with the U.S., saying they have no interest in talks that are being used as, what they call, a "tool for grappling the U.S. political crisis."
Seoul and Washington remain hopeful that the recent developments, including the visit to Seoul by Biegun will be a step forward, in restarting talks with Pyeongyang.
Lee Seung-jae, Arirang News.
KOGL : Korea Open Government License
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트(텍스트)는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
weather