Hundreds of reporters gathered at the Seoul Western District Prosecutors' Office after the former governor of Chungcheongnam-do Province, An Hee-jung, accused of sexual assault, announced that he would voluntarily present himself to prosecutors.
Before entering the building, the liberal politician apologized and said he would respond sincerely to the prosecutors' questions.
"I apologize to the public and the people in my province. I am also truly sorry to my wife and children. I will sincerely answer and comply with the investigation."
"It was his first public appearance since the scandal surfaced on Monday. An decided cooperating with the investigation and taking legal responsibility is the right way to express his apology to the public."
A day earlier he abruptly called off a highly anticipated press conference, through which he was expected to tell his side of the story regarding allegations he raped his secretary.
But in a text message from one of his aides, An said the prosecution's questioning should come first -- as that's what the people demanded.
That's the only official explanation that was given but circumstances haven't exactly been favorable for him -- with a second alleged victim claiming she too had been sexually assaulted several times.
An's case has been the first to sprout in Korea's political sphere since the #MeToo movement spread across various fields earlier this year.
A raft of allegations of sexual misconduct in the entertainment, culture, education and even religious circles have emerged-- with a number of culprits lined up for questioning.
But Friday saw a dire consequence.
Actor Jo Min-ki, who was also facing accusations of sexually molesting several women, was found dead at a private property.
He was found hanged by his wife in an apparent suicide -- with police currently investigating the exact cause of death.
Although the general mood up until now was to point fingers at abusers and call for justice, Jo's death has certainly left many in shock.
Kim Min-ji, Arirang News.