Israel on Sunday accepted a new Gaza ceasefire proposed by Egyptian mediators.
Earlier in the day, the Palestinian delegation in Cairo, which includes Hamas, also said it accepted Egypt's call for a commitment to a 72-hour ceasefire and to resume talks on a more comprehensive agreement to end the fighting.
The ceasefire is expected to create the atmosphere to resume humanitarian aid as well as indirect talks, through Egypt, to reach a more lasting pause.
The move comes as hostilities between Israel and Hamas resumed over the weekend when a previous three-day ceasefire expired.
Israel walked away from talks saying it would not negotiate under fire, while Hamas threatened to leave if Israel remained entrenched in its positions.
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said the new, temporary ceasefire was intended to facilitate the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza.
It also urged both sides to use the truce to resume indirect negotiations immediately and work towards a complete and permanent ceasefire agreement.
The over month-long conflict has so far left nearly two-thousand Palestinians dead and 10-thousand injured.
Israel has lost some 70 soldiers and three civilians to the war.
Sohn Jung-in, Arirang News.
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
단, 영상 자료는 저작권 문제로 자유이용이 제한되니, 담당자에게 확인하여 주시기 바랍니다.
(국제방송교류재단 김형선 : ☎02-3475-5263)