South Korea and Japan resumed talks in Seoul on Wednesday on the Japanese military's wartime sexual enslavement of Korean women.
The monthly meeting was put on hold in June, when Tokyo went back and reviewed its 1993 Kono Statement, which apologized to the so-called comfort women.
The Abe administration, while upholding the landmark statement, claimed last month that Seoul was in close consultation with Tokyo when it was being drawn up.
An official at Seoul's foreign ministry said Korea issued a formal complaint on Japan's review and increased pressure on Tokyo to compensate victims.
In response, Japan explained the review was conducted as an effort to uphold the Kono Statement.
Around 200-thousand women, mostly Korean, were forced to serve the Japanese military in the early 20th century.
But killing any anticipation for concrete progress between the two neighbors Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga expressed regret over Seoul's reaction.
During a press briefing Wednesday, Suga said the review was conducted in an objective manner, by experts.
Suga added Japan has no plans for new measures to solve the comfort women issue.
Hwang Sung-hee, Arirang News.
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
단, 영상 자료는 저작권 문제로 자유이용이 제한되니, 담당자에게 확인하여 주시기 바랍니다.
(국제방송교류재단 김형선 : ☎02-3475-5263)