Israel, Hamas reach new ceasefire agrement: Israeli officialUpdated: 2014-07-17 22:43:43 KST
Cross-border hostilities in Gaza have resumed as talks of a new ceasefire hang in the balance. Israel's foreign minister Avigdor Lieberman on Thursday denied reports that a fresh ceasefire agreement had been reached with Hamas.
Additionally the Palestinian militant group also said the news about the truce was incorrect and that negotiations in Cairo were still underway.
Earlier, an Israeli official reportedly said that Israel and Hamas had struck a deal to halt all attacks from Friday morning local time.
The conflicting reports come as a five-hour ceasefire expired on Thursday afternoon.
The two sides had accepted the UN-requested truce to allow medical supplies and other urgent aid to safely enter the Gaza Strip.
Meanwhile, Israel's military says it is investigating the deaths of four Palestinian children who witnesses say were struck down by Israeli naval fire near a beach in Gaza City.
Gaza-based health officials claim more than 230 Palestinians, most of them civilians, have been killed during the 10 days of Israeli airstrikes.
During the same period, Israel says Hamas militants have fired nearly 14-hundred rockets over the border.
Reporter : email@example.com