South Korea rejected on Tuesday North Korea's so-called "special proposal" to end all military hostilities between the two Koreas.
On Monday, the North proposed to halt cross-border slandering and military provocations starting Friday, and called for upcoming joint military drills between Seoul and Washington to be halted.
The regime had made a similar proposal earlier this year in what it called an "important proposal."
"North Korea proposed in January to end cross-border slandering, but broke the inter-Korean agreement shortly thereafter and has been hurling offensive remarks at our leader and launching provocations ever since."
( 1 .)
Calling the latest proposal nonsense and insincere, Seoul's unification ministry said North Korea's nuclear and missile development programs are the biggest threats on the Korean peninsula.
The ministry said North Korea must let go of its nuclear program if it really wants lasting peace in the region.
On what had motivated Pyongyang to make the sudden proposal, an official at the ministry said the regime may have been attempting to mend inter-Korean ties ahead of Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Seoul this week.
Hwang Sung-hee, Arirang News.