Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says his government will uphold a landmark apology to victims of its wartime sexual enslavement, but one Japanese opposition lawmaker isn't so sure.
At a seminar in Washington D.C. Tuesday, Satsuki Eda of Japan's Democratic Party said the Abe administration still intends to review the Kono Statement and issue a revised version sometime next year.
Eda, who expressed concern about the move, added the new statement would contain Japan's official stance on war and draw international attention.
The lawmaker's comments run counter to what Prime Minister Abe said last month ahead of his first official meeting with President Park Geun-hye, when he pledged to uphold the 1993 apology.
본 저작물 중 본문에 해당하는 뉴스 스크립트는 공공누리 제1유형-출처표시 조건에 따라 이용할 수 있습니다.
단, 영상 자료는 저작권 문제로 자유이용이 제한되니, 담당자에게 확인하여 주시기 바랍니다.
(국제방송교류재단 김형선 : ☎02-3475-5263)