UN Security Council members condemn North Korea missile launchUpdated: 2014-03-28 21:56:21 KST
The UN Security Council has spoken with one voice on North Korea's launch of two mid-range ballistic missiles earlier this week.
Expressing deep concern after a closed door meeting on Thursday, the 15-nation council said it would hold consultations and respond appropriately to Pyongyang's latest provocation.
The council's president, Luxembourg's UN Ambassador Sylvie Lucas, said it was a clear violation of Security Council resolutions.
Despite concerns that they wouldn't, North Korea's biggest ally China supported the statement.
But only to a point.
Experts say it's unlikely Beijing would give its backing to additional economic sanctions on the North.
In 2006 and 2009, the Security Council slapped three sanctions banning the North from launching any type of missile that has ballistic capabilities.
They followed North Korea's first and second nuclear tests.
The Security Council expanded sanctions after another nuclear test in February of last year.
North Korea fired two medium-range Rodong ballistic missiles into the East Sea in the early hours of Wednesday morning, Korea time.
It was the first such mid-range missile launch since 2009.
Kim Hyun-bin, Arirang News.
Reporter : firstname.lastname@example.org