Instability in South Sudan heightens possibility of civil warUpdated: 2013-12-24 PM 10:41:41 (KST)
The violence is escalating between rebel forces led by Vice President Riek Machar and the South Sudan government.
The rebels have taken over major towns in the oil-producing region while the international community is on standby for what could be the first civil war in the world's newest country.
The conflict started a week ago when South Sudan's president, Salva Kiir , said forces loyal to Machar attempted to launch a coup, triggering ethnic clashes last week that have so far left hundreds dead.
The UN says some 45-thousand civilians are currently seeking protection at UN bases in South Sudan.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has urged the UN Security Council to reassign another 5,5-hundred troops from other African countries to South Sudan to add to the 7-thousand soldiers deployed there.
"The United Nations will investigate reports of grave human rights violations and crimes against humanity."
U.S. citizens and foreigners from other countries were evacuated from the rebel-controlled town of Bor over the weekend and on Monday, the United States moved 1-hundred-50 Marines into the unstable state for further evacuations.
Meanwhile, a Korean peacekeeping force received additional ammunition from Japan to enhance its defense capability, following its request to the UN.
The unit of 2-hundred-80 engineers and medical workers is currently providing protection to thousands of refugees, in addition to its work with the UN mission there.
Korea's Ministry of Defense said it is not currently considering sending more peacekeeping troops to the region.
However it did say that it would conduct a thorough review once the UN Security Council sends an official request to the Korean government.
Kim Ji-yeon, Arirang News.
Reporter : email@example.com