White House speaks up about growing wiretapping scandal
In yet another bombshell in the widening U.S. bugging scandal, the White House acknowledged it knew of the spying programs on world leaders this summer, but said it quickly ordered the National Security Agency to stop its activities.
The Wall Street Journal reported on Monday that the NSA had kept the wiretap activities from President Obama for years.
That would contradict a separate report by German newspaper Bild am Sonntag, which quoted U.S. intelligence sources as saying that National Security Agency chief Keith Alexander briefed President Barack Obama on a wiretapping operation against Chancellor Angela Merkel in 2010, and that Obama agreed to let it continue.
It was reported last week that Obama had told Merkel over the phone that he had not been aware of the bugging.
The weekly went on to say that leaked NSA documents show Merkel's phone has appeared on a list of spying targets since 2002.
These new revelations are sure to stir up more controversy, even though the NSA has denied the newspaper's claims.
Meanwhile, Korea wants to know whether any Korean presidents were among the 35 world leaders who had their phone calls allegedly tapped in 2006, after Glenn Greenwald, the former columnist for the Guardian newspaper, said last week that more revelations about the NSA's surveillance activities were coming.
Kwon Soa, Arirang News.
Reporter : email@example.com