Libya wants explanation for U.S. special forces raid
U.S. forces carried out two separate raids in Libya and Somalia on Saturday, nabbing a top al-Qaeda figure, but failing to capture the target involved in last month's attack on an upscale shopping mall in Kenya.
In Tripoli, U.S. commandos captured Nazih al-Ragye, also known as Abu Anas al-Liby, who was wanted for his suspected role in the bombings of the U.S. embassy in Kenya and Tanzania in 1998, that killed more than 2-hundred-20 people.
A U.S. official says the suspect was taken to a U.S. Navy warship in the region and is undergoing questioning.
The Libyan government has asked Washington provide "clarification" on the abduction of Liby, and demanded to know why it was not informed of the raid in advance.
The U.S. said it had notified the Libyan government, but Libya denies this.
In the other raid in Somalia, U.S. Navy Seals stormed a home in the south of the country, believed to be the base of al-Shabaab, but they failed to secure their target.
U.S. officials say the raid was in response to the attack on the Westgate Shopping Mall last month.
More than 60 people, including a Korean citizen, were killed during the four day siege.
The al-Qaeda linked militant group Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.
U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, confirmed the capture of the senior al-Qaeda figure, saying the raids show the U.S. will not stop its efforts to hold those accountable who conduct acts of terror.
Speaking in Indonesia ahead of the Asia-Pacific summit, Kerry said terrorists can run, but they can't hide.
Shin Sae-min, Arirang News.