Prosecutors say 2007 inter-Korean summit transcript doesn't exist at national archives
The Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office announced Wednesday that the 2007 inter-Korean summit transcript and tape recordings are not at the National Archives, saying that they were never transferred or stored there.
Prosecutors said the conclusion was reached after going through all records, more than 7.5 million of them, that had been transferred from the Roh Moo-hyun government to the state archives.
Prosecutors said the original transcript had been uploaded in an electronic archive system at the presidential office called "e-Jiwon," soon after the 2007 inter-Korean summit but it was subsequently erased from the system.
Prosecutors say they found traces of the erasure from a duplicate of the e-Jiwon that President Roh took with him to Bongha Village after his term ended.
Prosecutors added that the summit minutes had not been tagged for transfer to the state archives, and that the original transcript was deleted.
But prosecutors say they have successfully recovered the deleted file.
Prosecutors also found an edited version of the transcript saved in the duplicate of the e-Jiwon, which they say is virtually identical to the copy the National Intelligence Service has. Starting next week, prosecutors plan to summon President Roh's staff who stored and transferred the presidential records to the National Archives.
An official at the presidential office said Wednesday that the missing presidential record is a grave event that should have never taken place.
The ruling Saenuri Party demanded former presidential office staff for President Roh and the main opposition Democratic Party apologize for "destroying the summit transcript" and take responsibility.
Saying that it will keep an eye on how the probe unfolds, the DP stressed that the prosecution should also reveal how the ruling party got its hands on the transcript and used it before the December presidential election.
Kim Yeon-ji, Arirang News.
Reporter : email@example.com