North Korea's Deputy Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan and US North Korea envoy Stephen Bosworth held their first day of talks Thursday in New York to discuss Pyeongyang's nuclear program.
Such a meeting is rare, as Kim hasn't met with Bosworth since the US envoy visited Pyeongyang in December 2009.
Speaking to reporters after the first meeting, the North Korean diplomat appeared rather positive.
[Interview : Kim Kye-Gwan, N. Korean Deputy Foreign Minister] "The meeting was constructive and interesting."
However, US officials were more cautious.
The US state department said in a statement after Thursday's meeting that the discussions were "serious and business-like" and added that they looked forward to continuing their meeting on Friday.
Earlier on Thursday, US State Department Deputy Spokesman Mark Toner stressed that actions should speak louder than words.
[Interview : Mark Toner, US State Department Deputy Spokesperson ] "What we're looking for, which is for North Korea to live up to its commitments in the 2005 Joint Statement that includes -- and as well as its international obligations. And it needs to take concrete steps towards denuclearization."
Earlier this week, after a trilateral meeting between the US, South Korea and Japan US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said these talks would be an "exploratory meeting" to determine North Korea's commitment to the six party talks, as well as to "take concrete and irreversible steps toward denuclearization."
The two sides will continue their meeting on Friday.
Kim Han-ul, Arirang News.