The commander of the 28-thousand US troops stationed in South Korea says that there is no need for the South to redeploy tactical nuclear weapons even though North Korea will no doubt continue with its military threats.
US Forces Korea Commander General Walter Sharp made these remarks during a forum organized by the South Korean Army on Monday.
He was responding to a question on the possibility of temporary nuclear deployment as a way to prevent provocative acts by the secretive country, such as the attack on the warship Cheonan and the shelling of Yeonpyeong Island last year.
Sharp said it is unnecessary to deploy tactical nuclear weapons in the South assuring people here that American troops are providing a solid nuclear deterrence for its ally.
And he added that Washington is capable of controlling the nuclear threats from Pyeongyang by using US military assets deployed across the globe.
Hundreds of tactical nuclear weapons were located at American military bases in South Korea during the 1970s, but were removed after the two Koreas agreed on creating a nuclear-free Korean peninsula in 1991.
Kim Nari, Arirang News.